Picking Foods and Supplements
When I’m looking for food or supplements, these are the guidelines I have in mind. Most things in life are on a continuum. From acid to neural to alkaline, or from dark to grey to light! Your food choices are also on a continuum, from the best food with the most nutritional power to substances known as food with no nutritional value.
- Originated in nature, not in a laboratory. Real Food.
Fruit, Vegetables, Nuts, Seeds, Grains, Legumes, Greens, Herbs, Mushrooms, Seaweed, Microalgae.
- Unprocessed or less processed is better than processed, pre-packaged, precooked and ready to heat and serve. A prepared salad in a container is preferred to a tub of kettle corn.
- Heirloom or better yet, wild food when possible.
- Local food, in season is preferred to shipping from another continent, unripe.
- Ripe food is preferred to unripe. Did you know that green bell peppers are just unripe bell peppers? If left to grow, they will turn red, orange or yellow? Ripe fruit food usually has a faint aroma around the stem.
- Organic food is slightly more nutritious, and a lot less toxic.
- About meat! Research shows that a plant-based diet results in greater health and longevity. (nutritionfacts.org) When choosing meats, look for fresh, local, unprocessed meat. Choose a chop or ground round over packaged deli slices.
- Avoid sugar, and sugar substitutes. I travel with a little stevia to add to my own drinks.
- Read labels and avoid preservatives, fillers, and sweeteners.
- Eat simply. Eat less complex meals.
Published by Katharine Clark RN
How much do you know about how to take care of your self, your body, your health?
In an age of instance gratification by internet search, not to mention shopping... how much do people know about the care and feeding of a human to being with. How much are you applying what you do know to your every day care and feeding habits?
In this case, Ignorance is not bliss. Educate yourself about how your body works. I will show you how to known how to eat, when to eat, what to eat, and hydrate, and how to recognize for yourself when you're thriving. If you're not thriving you'll have strategies for restoring your health.
This knowledge has not been taught to us from parents or teachers. The choices of most people around food and eating are influenced by television advertising more than any thing else!
Get to know yourself in a new way!
HealthWorks with Katharine Clark, RN
Private coaching, health education and nursing support on call.
Would you like you're own personal and dedicated health coach and advocate? I am an RN, specializing in integrative lifestyle medicine and food healing and detoxification for 40 years. I can help you one on one with a consultation, a few week support series or live-in hands-on daily support. If you just want to fine tune your lifestyle, or if you're overcoming a serious imbalance in your health, I can help you. If you or someone you know would love a consultation or a personal health nurse, that would be ME
View all posts by Katharine Clark RN